If you have been injured at the hands of another party, you may have grounds to pursue compensation for your losses by filing a personal injury claim against the responsible party or their insurance company. For those who have never dealt with the legal system, however, this process can easily become confusing and introduce individuals to certain pitfalls along the way which can minimize or even jeopardize their chances of securing a fair settlement. While by far the best way to maximize your chances of success is to enlist the services of a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer, there are certain things you can do on your own to strengthen your claim.
- Document as much as you can: Whether you were injured in a car accident or a slip and fall on another party’s property, be sure to document everything regarding your accident. Be sure to write down any and all details regarding what happened, when it happened, where it happened, who was present, and any information that can be used to show the other party’s fault.
- Show that the other party was at fault: A successful personal injury claim hinges on your ability to demonstrate that the other party’s actions or inaction were the cause of your injuries. If you were injured in a car accident, did the other party run a red light or fail to yield the right of way? Were they issued a ticket at the scene of the crash? Or, if your injury was related to a premises liability issue, did the at-fault party have a reason to believe that the hazard on their property would cause you harm? Did they make a reasonable effort to fix the issue ahead of time, or at least make its presence known? An attorney can help you sift through the applicable laws and help build a case that shows the other party is to blame.
- Gather all relevant evidence: Keep track of all losses that you have incurred as a result of your injuries, including medical bills, prescription drug costs, rehabilitation expenses, and lost wages. Likewise, keeping a journal of your pain and every way that your injuries have affected your life can be beneficial to help you recover the largest amount possible for pain and suffering.
- Do not accept the first offer: In many cases, the first settlement offer you receive will be far less than what you actually deserve. While you may feel desperate to settle under the weight of expensive medical bills and a lack of income, it is important you be patient and wait for a better offer. If you settle too soon, you could end up being personally liable for any remaining costs that your settlement did not cover.
- Get an attorney on your side: If at some point negotiations are not going as well as you had planned, it is often a wise idea to turn to a trusted professional. In addition to handling the legal heavy lifting, negotiations, and paperwork on your behalf, a lawyer will often be able to help you secure a settlement that is far greater than what you would have been able to achieve on your own.
Powerful Personal Injury Advocacy in Corpus Christi
At Brunkenhoefer, P.C. Injury Attorneys, our Corpus Christi personal injury attorneys have fought for countless injured clients nationwide and can give you the edge you need to ensure your rights are protected during this confusing time. Backed by an extensive collection of awards and accolades for our unmatched representation, including an AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® and an inclusion in Super Lawyers®, we have what it takes to help you pursue the results you need.
If we do not win, you do not pay us a dime! Find out more about what our 70+ years of combined legal experience can do for you by calling our office today at (855) 812-1100.