You may consider yourself one of the safest drivers on the road, and your spotless accident record might speak to your skills and responsible behaviors, but the danger of being in a motor vehicle accident is never completely eliminated. Negligent drivers, drunk drivers, and distracted drivers are unpredictable by nature. No amount of carefulness can prevent a traffic collision that another driver seems almost-intent on causing, such as when someone doesn’t brake at a red light. To help you get through the after effects of a car accident, there are a series of steps and hints you should always take and remember, regardless of the details of the incident.
The top 5 steps to take after a car accident are:
- Safety first: Before you start digging through your glove compartment for your insurance information, check on all drivers and passengers, and even passerby on foot. Is everyone uninjured? If yes, continue onto the next step. If not, call emergency medical responders immediately before doing anything else.
- Damage assessment: Has either car been so damaged that it is not safe to drive? Has any debris been strewn into other lanes of traffic? If the answer is yes to either question, call the police. They need to be notified of serious accidents and can help steer other motorists away from the scene for your safety and theirs.
- Sealed lips: Your first instinct might be to apologize or say you are sorry for what happened, even if you know you are not the liable driver in the car accident. You must resist this politeness. Insurance adjusters will pounce on any apology and label it as an admission of guilty, shifting some, if not all, of the liability onto you.
- Collection: Wherever you can find evidence to use in your favor, collect it. This means photographs of the damage, eyewitness testimonies, police reports, medical records, and, of course, insurance and identifying information. The more you have, the more your attorney has to work with when seeking your compensation, which leads to the final step.
- Contact an attorney: Dealing with insurance companies can be a nightmare in the best of situations, not to mention the resistance you might face from other drivers. By empowering yourself with the might and knowledge of an attorney, you gain a significant advantage over the unprepared.
If you were in a motor vehicle accident in Texas, contact Brunkenhoefer, P.C. Injury Attorneys today. Our Corpus Christi car accident lawyers can hear the details of your case in a free initial consultation, letting you get a grasp on what you need to do next and how much your case might be worth.